Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Week 1 Wrap-up and Week 2 Share

So we did pretty good for our first CSA week.  The only item that hasn't been used is the rhubarb, mainly because I haven't been motivated enough to chop it up and freeze it with some sugar.  The plan is to freeze it for either pie, or at the recommendation of a co-worker, strawberry-rhubarb jam.

The remainder of the cilantro and green garlic was used for making cilantro pesto, which I froze, and making salsa last Friday for Black Bean Burrito Bake.  This was the first time I got to use the food grinder attachment my mother gave me for my KitchenAid for Christmas.  As you can see below, the food grinder made a nice fresh salsa.  I will definitely use the grinder again to save me from endless chopping.


So what about week 2, what vegetables would I get this week?  Monday night I received an email from my CSA with what I could expect on Tuesday. 

Week of June 7, 2011:

Lettuce
Baby Carrots 
Broccoli
Sugar Snap Peas
Spinach
Burdock Root
Cilantro
Oregano

The strangest item in the share this week is burdock root.  Burdock root its not very common in American and European cuisine, yet remains popular in Asian cooking.  The recommendation from my CSA is to use the root to make burdock chips, similar to potato chips.  What's not to like?!  Fried and salty!!  Because of the wet spring we have had here, the broccoli is stunted, but should still be good.

 From L to R: Spinach, Baby Carrots, Broccoli, Sugar Snap Peas, Lettuce, Oregano, Cilantro (Store in Water to help keep longer), Burdock Root (across top)

Also on the menu this week:

Stir fry- half of the sugar snap peas and the broccoli
Salad - Lettuce and part of the spiniach
Baby Carrots - Glazed as a side dish with pasta
Pasta - Remaining 1/2 of sugar snap peas and some of the oregano
Burritos - Includes cilantro hummus
Burdock Chips - Side dish with homemade bean burgers
Remaining oregano will be dried for spices

All in all, a nice varied share this week, and I look forward to eating the share!

No comments:

Post a Comment