Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Radishes, Rhubarb and Introductions: CSA Week 1

Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning, I was eagerly counting down the hours at work today, waiting for 5:00 pm to pick up my first share.  After I left work, I headed over to the house of a local CSA member, who was in charge of the CSA pick-up in my area.  Walking up the steps to her porch I was greeted with a smile and a hearty hello.  I was then handed an approximately 50 page cookbook with recipes and facts of all the veggies my farmer is growing.   After introductions I turned my attention to the tables full of this week's harvest.  Walking through, signs instructed me to pick up one of each item.  At the end, there was a table for exchanging items that someone may not like.  This being my first week, I decided to take my share without exchanging anything.

This week's share included from L to R:
Spinach
Beets and Beet Greens
Radishes
Green Garlic
Rhubarb
Spring Salad Mix
Cilantro


Plans for this week's share include a spinach and radish quiche, beet veggie burgers, green garlic pasta, a spring green salad, pico de gallo for a weekend road trip, and prepping rhubarb to be frozen for a pie later.  The green garlic will be used to replace the garlic in many dishes this week.  Green garlic is basically very young, 4 to 6 week old, garlic.  Green garlic has a very strong garlic flavor that can be mellowed with a simple saute. Since my girlfriend and I have plans to go out of town this weekend, we are trying to use a majority of the share up before Friday afternoon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment